“Who would’ve thought an 94 year old woman could love a chicken?” – Verley, Hensioner
HenPower is a creative ageing program based around creative activities, arts, social connections, pet therapy and keeping chooks.
HenPower brings older people in residential care homes together with community volunteers, school kids, staff and ‘henthusiasts’ to combine pet therapy and keeping chooks with a structured creative ageing program. HenPower isn’t just for residents of our homes, the program is at its very best when family members, local schools and the wider community are involved.
Meet the Hensioners
The benefits of HenPower
HenPower is part of Whiddon’s Creative Ageing offering and has shown numerous health and wellbeing benefits, including:
- improved general health and well-being
- significant reduction of depression
- reduction of loneliness
- bringing the benefits of animals and pet therapy into residential care, every day.
HenPower in the media
- MindFood Magazine – The Hensioners
- Sydney Morning Herald – Whiddon Group trials HenPower in nursing homes
- ABC – HenPower promotes wellbeing in aged care with the help of chickens
- Northern Star – Happy hens peck away at depression
- The Land – Hens breath new life into aged care home